Shallow, boring, and in complete denial

my views on Spirituality, Politics, Life in America and Existential issues of personal transformation

Sunday, January 01, 2012

blender longgevity

after many years of burning up the motor in (even expensive) blenders, I was becoming jaded and convinced that these manufacturers were intentionally under-powering these devices just so they could sell us a new one every few years.

And then the other day, epiphany!!   When I was cleaning my blender, I started playing with the blade and noticed that it was difficult to spin.   I didn't hear any noise or feel the graininess that typically goes with a bad bearing, so I studied it further.   Turns out that fruit juice had seeped into the shaft underneath, and was causing serious drag on the spin freedom.

I filled up the blender with very hot water, and let it run for about two minutes.....after that, the blade spun easily with zero effort.

I now realize that I've been overworking my blender motors by not cleaning the the blade-shaft properly.

My new protocol is to run hot water in the blender almost every time I clean it.  I can't say for sure, but I expect this to significantly extend the life of these fabulous devices.